Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dessert and Beverage Included

My husband and I were out antiquing on a weekend afternoon and discoverd that we were hungry. I suggested a small restuarant we both like which has lunch specials for $6.95 that includes dessert and beverage, if your beverage is iced tea or coffee. Compared to fast food, for $6.95 you get a choice of entree', potatoes and vegetable, plus the dessert and beverage, if your beverage is iced tea or coffee. We didn't have much cash between us so we thought this little place with the lunch special would be a good idea.
We walked inside, the hostess seated us, put our menus in front of us and then my husband went to wash his hands. When he came back, I pointed out to him that the $6.95 lunch specials were located at the bottom front of the menu. Then I pointed out where it explained about the choice of potato, vegetable and dessert and beverage being included, if you chose to drink iced tea or coffee.

My husband opened the menu to other items, not on special, and stated that a hamburger cost $6.95, as well. I tried to politely point out that the hamburger did not include dessert and beverage, if your drink was iced tea or coffee. So, he closed the menu and began to look at the lunch specials.
Soon thereafter, the waiter came to take our drink order. He looked at me first, so I said I would have unsweetened iced tea. Then he looked at my husband, who said, "I'll have Coke." I was sort of surprised because prior to coming we had agreed on the specials, which is why we came to this particular establishment since we didn't have much cash on us. I shrugged it off and thought, "Oh, well.... I guess he knows what he is doing."
The waiter went to get our drinks, came back and took our orders. We both ordered the specials and had a wonderful lunch.

When we had finished, the waiter came to clear our plates and began to list our choice of desserts. I told him I would have orange cake and then we both looked at my husband who said, "I don't think I'll have any." I told my husband, in as quiet a voice as I could so as not to embarrass him, that dessert was included with the lunch special he ordered. The waiter quietly confirmed my claim. So, my husband, with a big smile on his face and jubilation in his voice announced that he would have the chocolate ice cream. The waiter left and my husband said that it was nice that we got to have dessert with our meal. I tried very hard not to roll my eyes and once again stated, trying desparately not to sound irritated, that it was included with the lunch special. He looked at me with innocent eyes and said, "Oh. I didn't know that."
It was at this point in time, I felt I would have fit in better at the table next to us which seated three generations of Japanese tourists. The communication would have been just as efficient.
Since that time, we have both acknowledged that communication is not strong in our relationship, but we love each other very much, enjoy spending a lot of time together like antiquing and going out for lunch - with or without a special.

No comments:

Post a Comment