Monday, July 13, 2009

Bread Pudding - Use leftover or stale bread

Well, if you follow my Facebook page, you'll see I made bread pudding for supper and I promised to post the recipe here.
I usually cut the sugar most of the time when I'm baking. So, with this one, I used just a bit less than 1 cup. I usually freeze the heels of the bread and when I get enough, make the pudding. Hope you enjoy it.
Bread Pudding
4 cups milk
2 cups fresh bread cubes, packed (about 4-5 pieces)
1 1/4 cup sugar (I use less than 1 cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I eliminate this, as it's used as a preservative and it doesn't last that long.)
4 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
raisins or coconut (optional) (I use a handful of raisins)
Preheat oven to 325-350. Scald milk; add bread cubes, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Slowly pour mixture into bowl of beaten eggs, stirring constantly. Add vanilla, and raisins or coconut if desired. Place mixture in well-buttered (I use olive oil) 2 quart casserole and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in pan of hot water for 1 hour, or until firm and knife inserted comes out clean. Don't rush or have the oven too hot as it will make the pudding watery. Serves 8-10.
While it's baking, you can cook dinner and about the time you are through, you should have a nice hot pudding to serve after you eat. It's best served warm with cream or half & half poured over, but just plain is great, too.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment